Jack and Gary talk Clean Tech
Empowering entrepreneurs with the knowledge, capital, and connections critical to creating successful new clean tech companies.
Continue networking events, newsletter, and social media promotion
Create a catalog of profiles of investable clean tech companies
Put on 12 advanced classes
Have a pitchfest showcasing the best startups
Set aside a scholarship fund to cover entry fees for high-potential startups to enter national competitions
- Documented 5-fold growth in regional cleantech industry since CleanStart founded in 2005, reaching over half of the goal we set in 2005. Sector has reached $3.2 billion in revenue (goal of $5B) and 5,350 jobs (goal of 10,000) in core group of 90+ companies that have raised $250 million in investment
- Held four classes that served 70 attendees from 30 companies, providing training on avoiding legal mistakes, raising money through crowdfunding, ramping up revenue, and being deal-ready
- Created a "must read" Facebook page and newsletter to keep community informed with # followers
- Accumulated more Twitter Followers than the Clean Tech Open West
- Held three networking gatherings that reached over 150 people
“Through efforts like CleanStart, the City of West Sacramento has been able to recruit a diversity of clean tech employers and our residents are getting better skills. Through the cradle to college and career initiative, the West Sacramento Kids’ Home Run, we are preparing our youth for high growth, high wage entry level positions today, bolstering our local workforce for years to come. We are excited about the new clean tech job growth in West Sacramento from companies like Origin Materials, Integrated Comfort Incorporated, Mounting Systems Incorporated and Meca Solar, and are encouraged by CleanStarts work turning the region into a world leading Cleantech hub.”
-Mayor Cabaldon, City of West Sacramento
This is great news and it seemed to just happen, almost without notice….26% is huge. This is indeed a great growth sector in our region. Congratulations on the work you are doing to grow it even further.
Winnie Comstock-Carlson, President & Publisher Comstock's Magazine
“CleanStart benefitted Sierra Energy in multiple ways -- getting news of our technology out, letting the world know what we are up to.”
Rob White , Executive Director, SERP/ Chie
Latest News & Blogs
If you hadn't heard much about Five Star Bank's "Shark Tank"-style event putting local entrepreneurs in front of investors, that was by design. The Bank made this an invitation-only event and focused its attention on getting the best of best young, fundable companies...read more
EnerDapt is an early-stage HVAC SaaS company that provides 24/7 monitoring service, cost-driven analytics, and automated HVAC management system to commercial real estate owners, targeting small to medium size existing buildings that usually cannot afford sophisticated energy management systems. Check them out at their website. They are based at McClellan Park.read more
This MeetUp probably had the liveliest Q&A of all such events we have put on so far.read more
Innovation is making some fuels, like natural gas, significantly more competitive while crushing coal in some markets. Even more profound changes are now appearing in the electric power industry, where traditional firms that operate large power grids see threats from new upstarts that are siphoning away customers and creating totally new types of local power grids.read more
The other night was an amazing workshop for the packed crowd at 801 K Street with incredible insights into building constructive relationships with investors. So much was covered it is hard to do a summary that does the session justice. The discussion was...read more
What kind of companies? Don’t worry I’ll bring you up to speed. Rated as one of the top 10 global incubators, the LA Cleantech Incubator (LACI) is the City of Los Angeles’ official business incubator for clean technology and provides key support to high profile teams...read more
CleanStart was founded in 2005 as a nonprofit organization designed to accelerate the development of clean technology ventures within the Northern California region. Our mission is to empower entrepreneurs with the knowledge, capital, and connections that are critical to creating a successful new business. We do this by:
CONNECTING the Northern California region’s clean tech community through CleanStart PowerUP! networking events.
PROMOTING the region’s clean tech economy in the annual CleanStart Progress Report, on social media & news outlets and at statewide and national events.
EDUCATING Clean Tech business leaders through classes and the Entrepreneurs Showcase sponsored by Velocity Venture Capital.
Gary Simon, Chairman
A seasoned energy executive and entrepreneur with 45 years of experience in business, government, and non-profits.
Mark Henwood, Board Member
CEO of Henwood Associates, Inc., an owner and operator of hydroelectric facilities in California. Mark also leads Powersoft, LLC, a SaaS provider and was a co-founder of CleanStart with Gary Simon.
Ken Bossung, Board Member
A proven sales executive and entrepreneur with over 30 years of experience in building high-performance sales teams and business development strategy.
Thomas Hall, Executive Director
Thomas has a strong background in supporting small businesses, leadership, financial management and is proficient in working with nonprofits. Thomas has a passion for sustainability and a commitment to supporting non-profits in the region.
QiDong Jai, Associate
Qidong recently graduated from UC San Diego and has a B.S. in Managerial Economics. His multicultural background helps companies approach problems from new perspective.in the region. His passion of understanding new technologies that could change the world supports CleanStart and the Sacramento Region.
Kate Newton, Associate
Kate is a recent graduate of Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo and has a strong background in entrepreneurship and global politics. After helping launch an AgTech startup on the central coast, Kate is back in her hometown looking to take her experience into the world of Cleantech and help grow the Sacramento region.
CleanStart Accomplishments & Updates
CleanStart has been busy working to build the clean tech hub in the Sacramento region. We have been supporting local growth through education, networking, and promotion. Some of our recent successes include:
- CleanStart Restart, our successful crowdfunding campaign that exceeded its goal, brought stakeholders back and promoted several regional companies.
- 2017 CleanStart Networking Kickoff at The Urban Hive in Midtown Sacramento. With over 60 people from regional companies, Tenkiv live blogging their Kickstarter from it, and California Sunlight showing their solar power solutions.
- Our Legal Essentials Class nearly sold out and was highly recommended by attendees. Douglas Bosley of BTNT Law presented to a full room at Impact Venture Capital.
- The 2017 Progress Report was completed and released on April 26th.
- The 2017 Progress Report shows the 93 companies in the core clean tech sector is generating $3.2 billion in revenue and 5,300 jobs, up 26% from $2.54 billion and 4,150 jobs from the last survey released in 2015–five times faster than the overall economy grew.
- CleanStart will be hosting a class for companies interested in Crowdfunding. Leveraging CleanStart’s own experience and connections into the local crowdfunding community, CleanStart is proud to present “Is Crowdfunding Right for Your Tech Startup?” on June 20th.